Monday, December 19, 2011

Cooking: 101

Ok, for all of you who know me pretty well, know that my cooking skills have or will develop, i'm sure, in my later years - however as for right now, I have been experimenting here and there. Needless to say, I haven't been experimenting quite as often as my husband would like, but I am trying to still balance my life between working full time, being a mommy (a good one at best) and tyring to juggle all the in-betweens. So here I go.

For starters, if any of you who know my mother, well, you know that she is a SUPER-DUPER AMAZING COOK! and not just cook, I think of her as Chef. My mother has always made so much out of nothing, when I look in the fridge and see nothing she sees a whole gourmet meal! How does she do that? How I wonder, and how excited I will be if ever I inherit that from her. I just need to practice and be more aware of the types of things I buy and put in my fridge so that with 1 staple ingredient, I will be able to make many dishes from it.


Well, here's a little background. At work, our department has a breakfast meeting every friday. Everyone has  designated friday and then rotates over and over again. This friday, TODAY, was MY Breakfast Friday. I debated on what to make and how to make it, and so I started to think. Well there are some dishes that I make that require not a whole lot of effort, but they're all and mostly dinner foods. Well, a while ago, my mom made this Chili Relleno Casserole. It was oh soooo del-i-si-oso!! the Casserole was perfection in a dish! cause when I tasted it, I not only liked it, I loved it. I did however think, man this would really taste good like a quiche with a crust on the bottom :) DING-DING-DING! iDeas! YAY!

So... I went to my favorite store in the whole entire world! COSTCO! and got all the ingredients I needed to make this oh so special Quiche. I was going to start it that night but got too busy with Zoee, and taking care of things and getting our house ready for our move-out inspection. So, I got up at 3:45am! on that lovely Friday morning and started making the quiche.

Here it is!


I say I did pretty good. I brought it into work this morning and the smell of the cheese and Chiles filled our room with this oh so delicious aroma, I was almost getting impatient. I then gathered all the things I brought for this amazing breakfast and had a humble spread for everyone to enjoy. No one spoke for the first 30 minutes of my breakfast, so I assume that it was really really good :) Not to brag, and I mean really, it was really really good :)

For anyone curious as to what the recipe for this wonder is, Here you go! :)

Chile Relleno:

1/3 cup of Flour
1 cup of Heavy Cream
2 Eggs
1 lb Jack Cheese
1 lb Cheddar Cheese
2 (7 oz. can) Whole or diced Green Chilies

beat together:

milk, eggs and flour until smooth

add:

grated chesses

Place pie dough in pan. Place Chiles sparatically in the bottom of the pan until most of all the bottom of pan is covered. Add half of wet mix, then put more chiles, add rest of wet mix, then sprinkle with more shredded cheese. then place some more chiles on top. Back for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown and middle is firm. Cool for 5-8 minutes and then cut, serve and enjoy! :) MMM..MMM..MMM.. GoOd...

No comments:

Post a Comment