Monday, February 18, 2013

Understanding

Being understanding and showing empathy is a gift. A gift that I have need to learn, obtain and maintain. It's easy to judge those around you when you don't fully understand what the other person has been through, experienced, or is continuing to work through at the time. It's easy to loose sight of Heavenly Father's view of them, and easy to judge. I do not think it is at all wrong to judge others, but "judging wrongly" is a whole lot different. I can honestly say that I have been/am guilty of judging wrongly, and can see that my action(s) in doing so have cost me great things. I know that I have been guilty of losing sight of the bigger picture, and although believing that I am standing up for what is right, I only stand foolish with the ammo I hold, aimed at myself.

Trying to be more understanding and empathetic, I have taken to heart these beautiful Mormon Messages on YouTube! For those of my readers, friends who are not LDS, they are WONDERFUL little reminders of life's greatest lessons. One in particular stood out to me while writing this post, and the link is included below.


After watching this clip and seeing the wisdom of the older boy, I was given the opportunity to "know better" to share in his wisdom and spread silver dollars in the hearts of those around me, who are indeed God's children also. I have been shown empathy, and have been given countless silver dollars by my Savior, through the atonement and the power of repentance and forgiveness. It is my responsibility, and even in my heart to truly forgive.

I started to recall words spoken in my patriarchal blessing (for those of you who do not know what this is, please refer to Patriarchal Blessings at www.lds.org or www.mormon.org; more information and explanation can be given there). In my blessing, I am privileged to have said to me in the very beginning that my gift in this life, is love. I have the ability to love all those around me, my brothers, my sisters, my parents, my family, friends, and yet all those whom are my brothers and sisters in this world. Reading the words "...yours is a gift of love..." touched my heart, and made me think that as right or wrong as I can be when upset, or trying to stand for something, if I do not show love then, I am not standing up for myself, I am not letting love flow, nor be shown, given or felt. I need to work harder, and have taken it upon myself to know that although I know I am human, although I know I will have days of failure, I am committed to my Savior, to my Father in Heaven and His divine plan for me.

Being married to the love of my life has truly brought my life joy. Although I can say that marriage is not easy, and it certainly is an up and down roller-coaster ride, I am glad to know that no matter what, I KNOW that my husband is the man I am supposed to be with, in this life and all through eternity. I am so grateful for his love, for his understanding of me, and although he'd like to cuddle me to no end at night, I'm grateful for his understanding in letting me blog my feelings, journal them here, and let me get these things in my head, written and recorded. He knows how important it is to me, and I'm grateful for his understanding in letting me do so.

I am so grateful for a beautiful daughter. She has brought more laughs, more hugs, more LOVE into our family. I'm grateful for her understanding of me, and am so sad that she is the first to experience my mistakes that I make as a parent, yet she is the most patient, and keeps me on my toes. I'm so grateful for her.

I have mainly wanted to write this post in regards to a relationship that I have possibly broken/damaged, and with heart-felt prayer, thoughts, and receiving inspiration on what to do, this was my answer. The relationship that I have had with this person has not been an easy one, we have not always seen eye to eye on things, and although we are very much set in our ways, (as women are), I have come up with the conclusion that my building a sincere and heart-felt relationship with this person, is simply important for me, my husband and our posterity, because she will yet be there also. By taking action in showing sincerity and empathy, we show love. I hope that is what she feels, and I hope she knows deeply, that I am trying to be understanding, that I am trying to make amends. I want this relationship to work, and to flourish into a beautiful thing that allows our families to be joined, connected and united. I hope that if reading this she will know of my sincerity, and know that I love her for the woman she is and tries to be.

It is my hope and prayer that I may be more understanding and see those around me as the Savior sees them, to try and actively practice the words in Mosiah, "...to mourn with those that mourn, to stand in need of those who need comfort..." this only is sincerely felt, if we MEAN IT!

I mean my actions, and I mean my words. I pray that as I mature, as I grow, as I experience, that I too will have a greater understanding for life, for my Savior, for my family, for my friends, for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment